Ballina Shire Council, in partnership with the Roads and Maritime Services has appointed a Road Safety Officer who is responsible for the strategic development of a local road safety program. Council works with key stakeholders and the community to improve road safety.
The road safety program identifies and addresses local road safety issues and at-risk groups within our community. This leads to the development of local road safety programs that integrate a combination of education, engineering and enforcement.
- Road Safety Strategy (2014/15-2023/24)
- Appendix A Crash Profile
- Appendix B Road Safety Action Plan (2014/15-2023/24)
Local initiatives include:
- NEW Cycleway and Shared Path Maps now available from Council's Customer Service, Visitor Information Centre and bike/skate shops
- Northern Rivers Transport Guide – This new guide presents information on trains, buses, coaches, taxis, hire cars, community transport and air transport to assist you when travelling across the Northern Rivers Region. The guide also includes information on walking and cycling and the benefits of using public transport.
- Plan B - Drink drive prevention project, developed in partnership with the Ballina Liquor Accord
- Child Car Seats - Make the safest choice - For more information on National Child Restraint Laws and where to find a local Authorised Restraint Fitting Station click here
- RRISK (Reduce Risk Increase Student Knowledge)
- Safe Parking in School Zones (pdf)
- Kids Need a Hand in Traffic (pdf) - Early Childhood Road Safety Project
- Safer Speeds - Speed management is a central part of building a Safe System and crucial to reducing death and serious injury on our local roads. Speed management consists of setting speed limits appropriate to a road’s characteristics, designing roads and engineering treatments which reduce travel speeds, convincing drivers to choose safer travel speeds and enforcing speed limits.
- Northern Rivers Carpool Project - a road safety and sustainable transport initiative (pdf)
- Be Bus Aware
- Licences for Older Drivers
- Licence conditions for learner and provisional drivers
- Mobile Phone Driver Distraction - 'There's no excuse: Get your hand off it!'
- Changes to NSW Road Rules
Other useful links
- Go Together – new rules for drivers, bicycle riders and pedestrians
- Road rules for roundabouts
- Top 10 misunderstood road rules in NSW
- Safer Vehicles ANCAP ratings program (Stars on Cars)
- Used Car Safety Rating (UCSR) program
- Speed limits - have your say
- Tweed Byron Ballina Community Transport
- YAXI - Youth Transport Service
- Going Places (Northern Rivers transport information)
- RMS website Geared for young drivers
- Ballina Base Motorcycle Touring Guide
Council's Road Safety Officer, Helen Carpenter, Ph 6686 1427.