Ballina Shire Swimming Pools Redevelopment Project
This summer the community will be cooling off in revamped and modern aquatic facilities thanks to major Council investment.
After 40-plus years of use, the much-loved Ballina and Alstonville swimming pools are being redeveloped simultaneously. Both pools are now closed for the season and are expected to reopen pre-2018.
Once completed, the up-to-date aquatic facilities will become valuable community assets for the next 40 years.
What is planned?
Woollams Pty Ltd has completed the demolition of the two old facilities and is now constructing the detail design agreed upon in consultation with key stakeholders. These stakeholders include representatives from the pool operators, swimming club, coach and swimming coordinator, water polo club, Ballina High School Marine Discovery Centre and the general public.
Once completed, the up-to-date aquatic facilities will include:
- FINA compliant 50m heated pools. Each pool will have eight 2.5m-wide lanes for competition swimming and water polo games
- 25m x 15m heated enclosable pools. Each pool can be used for swimming lessons, children’s play, lap swimming and rehabilitation
- access ramps into all pools
- wet play splash areas for children
- the Ballina pool will have a new amenities building and transparent fencing along the Richmond River
- enhanced landscaping at each site.
Construction of the Ballina Swimming Pool is being captured on time-lapse video. The video also captures when the aftermath of Cyclone Debbie.
- Swimming Pools Redevelopment Project Factsheet - June 2017
- Media Release - Take a final dip before the pools close for redevelopment - 21 February 2017
For more information about each of the existing swimming pool venues click on the links below: