I Want to Apply for Citizenship
If you would like to become an Australian Citizen you can either visit www.citizenship.gov.au to download the relevant forms or telephone 131 880.
After completing the relevant paper work, you will be interviewed and then all information will be assessed by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
Once your application has been assessed and approved, your Certificate of Australian Citizenship is forwarded to the Council. Council's Citizenship Ceremonies are held on the second Tuesday of even numbered months at 11.00a.m (except for December and Australia Day). New citizens are invited to bring along family and friends to participate in the ceremony.
So, in short, the steps to follow to become an Australian Citizen are:
- Visit www.citizenship.gov.au or phone 131 880 to complete and lodge your application for citizenship grant
- Attend an interview
- Await confirmation advice from the Department that your application has been successful
- Await advice from the Council confirming that relevant paperwork has been received and advice of the date of the next citizenship ceremony
- Confirm your attendance at the ceremony and advise number of guests you would like to bring with you to your Citizenship Ceremony. Council is obliged to return your Certificate to the Department if you cannot attend the Ceremony on the date allocated
- Enjoy your ceremony with family, friends and other new Australian Citizens.
Citizenship Ceremony Dates for 2014
- Sunday 26 January
- Tuesday 8 April
- Tuesday 10 June
- Tuesday 12 August
- Tuesday14 October