Lake Ainsworth Foreshore Improvement Works
In September 2018, Council resolved to approve the Lake Ainsworth precinct project. Once completed, the $1.7M investment will include additional barbeques, pathways, picnic tables, formalised parking, erosion rehabilitation and landscaping.
To address car parking needs for the popular area, council:
• has completed a carparking analysis
• has upgraded Ross Street to provide additional parking (31 spaces)
• has constructed carparking in Pacific Parade opposite the Lennox Head - Alstonville Surf Life Saving Club (58 spaces)
• will formalise existing parking along the southern road
• will provide new disabled parking facilities
The upgrade will provide improved access for disabled and mobility impaired people. The Lake Ainsworth upgrades have been designed in consultation with Council’s Community Access Reference Group. On completion, the works will include pathways, dedicated disabled access and car parks all designed to contemporary standards. This includes a three metre wide accessible path and Lake access ramp. New disabled parking facilities will be provided on the southern road and in the area adjacent to the junction of the eastern path and southern road.
Camp Drewe Road
Vehicles wanting to access the Sport and Recreation Centre will need to use Camp Drewe Road on the western side of Lake Ainsworth. The closure of the eastern road is also likely to redirect traffic along the southern road and Camp Drewe Road. To address this anticipated demand, council will seal Camp Drewe Road.
Dogs off-leash access
Dog owners are encouraged to access the dog offleash area on Seven Mile Beach north of the Lennox Head Alstonville Surf Life Saving Club. However, the eastern road will remain open for pedestrian access wherever possible during construction. In this area dogs must be restrained on a leash until the designated off-leash area of Seven Mile Beach. Dog owners will be able to drive, on the bitumen seal, to the 4WD access park, and immediately access the off-leash beach area.
Part V Assessment of Environmental Impact of Lake Ainsworth Foreshore Improvements Works
Council lodged a Part V application under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act for the Lake Ainsworth Foreshore Improvement Works. This has now been approved.
Note: Council is the determining authority for the Part V application. Council as a regulatory body has clear separations of powers, and our assessment team objectively work on applications in accordance with legislation.
Stage 1: Southern road precinct
This stage will introduce additional parking for Lake visitors and be completed before the eastern road is closed.
Other works include:
- southern road reconstrution and formalisation of the roadside
- bitumen sealing of Camp Drewe Road.
Anticipated timeline: October - December 2018
Stage 2: Eastern road precinct
The road closure of the eastern road precinct will comprise water main relocation followed by path construction and landscaping. The path will be completed in sections to ensure the space is still accessible and usable for pedestrians.
Other works will include:
- closure of the Lake Ainsworth eastern road to vehicles
- 3m wide accessible pathway
- BBQ facilities and picnic areas
- sandstone block seats amongst open spaces
- increased grassed areas
- improved stormwater quality management systems
- restoration and revegetation of the eroded foreshore areas.
Budget: $880,000 including Stage 3.
Anticipated timeline: February - June 2019
Stage 3: Roundabout construction
The third stage will ensure better traffic flow, and include:
- roundabout construction adjacent to the Lennox Head Alstonville Surf Life Saving Club
- architectural features for road and path surfacing.
Budget: Included with Stage 1.
Anticipated timeline: May - June 2019
- Lake Ainsworth South Eastern Precinct - Factsheet - September 2018
- Lake Ainsworth South Eastern Precinct - Factsheet - July 2017
- Lake Ainsworth South Eastern Precinct - Factsheet - 6 Feb 2017
Maps and design
- Part V Approved Plan Set - September 2018 (PDF 28 MB)
- Map of the Lake Ainsworth works - September 2018
- Map of Lake Ainsworth Proposal - September 2017
- Interpretative Illustration - Southern Side Open Space
- Interpretative Illustration - Southern Recreation Area
- Interpretative Illustration - Eastern Recreation Area (South)
- Interpretative Illustration - Eastern Recreation Area (North)
- Lake Ainsworth - Plan of Eastern Foreshore and Intersection Works - January 2017
- Complete Urban – Provision for the Design of the Lennox Head Surf Club and Surrounding Precinct – Review and Consultation Report – 2014
- Complete Urban – Eastern Road – Option 2 – 2014
- Complete Urban – Overall Concept Plan – Lake Ainsworth – 2014
- Media Release 12 October 2018
- Media Release 10 February 2017
- Mayor's letter in response to objection of eastern road closure - February 2017
- Lake Ainsworth - Review Environmental Factor - 22 Sept 2016
- Lake Ainsworth - Part V - Notice of Determination - Approval - 7 Feb 2017
Page reviewed Thursday 20 September 2018.