Events on Public Land in Ballina Shire
Events on Public Land Policy
The Events on Public Land Policy provides a documented process on how event organisers may obtain approval to hold an event on public land in Ballina Shire such as parks, open spaces or streets under the ownership and/or control of Ballina Shire Council.
Event Guidelines Prepared by Ballina Shire Council
The Event Guidelines are designed to assist event organisers with the regulations and procedures associated with staging events in parks, open spaces or streets under the ownership and/or control of Ballina Shire Council.
Applications are to be lodged via the ‘Events on Public Land Application Form’. To allow sufficient processing time, organisers are encouraged to lodge applications up to 3 months prior to the proposed event.
In some cases larger events may require a Development Application (DA) for the erection of temporary structures, which can take up to 12 weeks to be processed. Events that include a temporary road closure will need to submit an application a minimum 4 months prior to the event.
Minor event applications must be lodged a minimum 4 weeks prior to the event. Venue availability is often a determining factor, so applicants are encouraged to lodge their applications with as much notice as possible.
Fees & Charges
Applicants may be subject to fees and charges, ground bonds or key deposits. Please refer to Council’s Fees and Charges.
Applications will be assessed and have approval conditions issued within one month of lodgement. Applicants may be required to attend a meeting with Council staff to discuss approval conditions. Council reserves the right to refuse applications where insufficient information is provided, events are deemed a hazard to the general public and/or the environment or where Council believe there is lack of event management skills and experience by the applicant.
- Events on Public Land information (extract from the Use of Public Land Handbook)
- Amusement Devices Factsheet
- Operate an Amusement or Inflatable Device Application Form
- Banner Poles Application Form
- Notice of Intention to Hold A Public Assembly
- Guidelines for Food Businesses at Temporary Events
- Environmental Health Fact Sheet Children’s Face Painting – NSW Health
- Free Event Promotion Service - Ballina Visitor Information Centre
- Accessing the Arts
- Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Ph 13 17 57
- Destination NSW
- Discover Ballina Online Events Calendar
- NSW Government – Event Starter Guide
- NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming & Racing - Ph 02 9995 0894
- State Environmental Planning Policy (Temporary Structures) 2007
- Workcover - Ph 13 10 50