Electronic Housing Code (EHC)
Use the Electronic Housing Code (EHC) to:
- Investigate your development options for an individual site
- Generate an exempt development report
- Prepare your complying development application electronically
- Lodge your application electronically
- Monitor the progress of your application
What is the Electronic Housing Code?
The Electronic Housing Code (EHC) is an online system for the electronic lodgement of complying development applications under the NSW Housing Code for lots 200m2 and above. This system will also allow the user to determine if they are able to proceed with their development without further approvals, as an exempt development.
At present there is no fee to utilise this system, print an exempt development report or to lodge an application electronically, as the EHC is being subsidised by a Commonwealth grant to New South Wales. Once the Commonwealth funds have been exhausted however, a fee will be required to maintain the basic operation of the system.
Please note, there will still be fees associated with the assessment of your application, and this should be discussed with Ballina Shire Council.
Ballina Shire Council is one of a select number of local government areas involved in this project. Ballina Shire Council became involved in this initiative to provide more effective customer service and to streamline processing of complying development certificates.
For more information on this project, please view the dedicated project website at www.ehc.nsw.gov.au.
What you need to know before using the system
Prior to using the Electronic Housing Code you may find it helpful to have the following information ready:
- As each development is different it is difficult to provide an exhaustive listing of required documentation for each scenario. However we have compiled a list of some of the possible documentation you may need to provide.
- Refer to Ballina Shire Council's Exempt and Complying Development website which includes checklists and fact sheets for exempt and complying development.
- You will require an electronic copy of the associated site plan in order to complete your application.
- If you are doing this application on behalf of others, you will need a signed owner’s consent form.
You may also find it helpful to view the User Guide. This has been divided into relevant sections.
Would you like to provide feedback on the system?
For those that are unsure how to use the system or complete an action, an online help system has been established.
You are also able to use this system to leave your thoughts and feedback on the Electronic Housing Code.