Ballina Shire Swimming Pools Redevelopment Project
After 40-plus years of use, the Ballina and Alstonville Swimming Pools are closed for redevelopment.
Once completed, the up-to-date aquatic facilities will become valuable community assets for the next 40 years.
What is planned?
Woollams Pty Ltd has completed the demolition of the two old facilities and is now constructing the detail design agreed upon in consultation with key stakeholders. These stakeholders include representatives from the pool operators, swimming club, coach and swimming coordinator, water polo club, Ballina High School Marine Discovery Centre and the general public.
Once completed, the up-to-date aquatic facilities will include:
- FINA compliant 50m heated pools. Each pool will have eight 2.5m-wide lanes for competition swimming and water polo games
- 25m x 15m heated enclosable pools. Each pool can be used for swimming lessons, children’s play, lap swimming and rehabilitation
- access ramps into all pools
- wet play splash areas for children
- the Ballina pool will have a new amenities building and transparent fencing along the Richmond River
- enhanced landscaping at each site.
While works are underway take advantage of Ballina Shire's beautiful swimming spots, including the Richmond River, North Creek, Shaws Bay, Lake Ainsworth and our patrolled beaches.
Construction of the Ballina Swimming Pool is being captured on time-lapse video. The video also captures the aftermath of Cyclone Debbie.
- Swimming Pools Redevelopment Project FAQs - October 2017
- Swimming Pools Redevelopment Project Factsheet - June 2017
- Media Release - Take a final dip before the pools close for redevelopment - 21 February 2017
- Media Release - Pool redevelopment construction progress - 29 September 2017
For more information about each of the existing swimming pool venues click on the links below: