On-Site Sewage Management
- OSSM Strategy
- OSSM Suitably Qualified Person
- Owner Education Booklet
- Soil Factsheets
- Forms and Checklists
- Groundwater Bores Location
- Drinking Water Catchment Areas - Application Process
- Drinking Water Catchment Maps
- Priority Oyster Aquaculture Areas and Factsheets
- Flood Level Maps
- Additional Information and Publications
The OSSM Strategy provides information on how the OSSM Program will be operated, key objectives and how to obtain approval to install or operate an OSSM system. If you intend to install, alter or construct and OSSM system then please refer to the OSSM Guidelines for essential information for OSSM designers, plumbers and drainers (installers) and OSSM homeowners.
OSSMS include septics, aerated wastewater treatment systems, composting toilets, reedbeds, sand filters, biological filters, membrane reactors and greywater systems.
These systems treat wastewater from premises before applying the effluent to land. Effluent land applications include absorption/evaporation beds or subsurface irrigation.
OSSM Suitably Qualified Person Application Form (pdf)
If you intend to conduct site and soil assessments, design OSSM systems and/or service Aerated Wastewater Treatment Systems (AWTS) within the Ballina Shire then you are required to be a suitably qualified person. Complete the application form and submit to Council with supporting documentation.
List of Suitably Qualified People
These factsheets will assist the homeowner, wastewater consultant, plumber & drainer to design, install and maintain the on-site sewage management system.
- Factsheet 1 - What is an On-site Sewage Management System? (pdf)
- Factsheet 2 - How Your Septic Tank Works (pdf)
- Factsheet 3 - Management of Your Septic Tank (pdf)
- Factsheet 4 - Care and Maintenance of Your On-site Sewage Management System (pdf)
- Factsheet 5 - Water Conservation and Your OSSM (pdf)
- Factsheet 6 - OSSM Roles and Responsibilities (pdf)
- Factsheet 7 - Septic Tank Decommissioning Procedure and Pumpout Contractors (pdf)
- Factsheet 8 - On-site Sewage Management Complaints (pdf)
- Factsheet 9 - On-site Sewage Management Fee (pdf)
- Factsheet 10 - Commercial OSSM Applications greater than 10 EP - Guide for OSSM Consultants (pdf)
- Factsheet 13 - Guide Setback Distances for Effluent Land Application Systems
- Factsheet 14 - Development Applications Information to be Provided with OSSM Application
Factsheet 15 - Flood Events and OSSM Systems
OSSM Owner Education Booklet (5.5mb pdf)
The information in these soil factsheets are general in advice and have been obtained from the Victorian Resources Online website, Department of Primary Industries Victoria. © State of Victoria, Department of Primary Industries 2012 Reproduced with permission. This information may be of assistance when preparing reports involving soil assessments on properties where it is proposed to install on-site sewage management systems.
- Soil Factsheet 1 – Soil Structure
- Soil Factsheet 2a – Soil Texture
- Soil Factsheet 2b – Soil Texture
- Soil Factsheet 3 – Soil Colour
- Soil Factsheet 4 – Soil Aggregate Stability
- Soil Factsheet 5 – Assessing Soil Aggregate Stability
OSSM Design Producer Statement (pdf)
This On-Site Sewage Management (OSSM) Design Producer Statement form is to be submitted to Council’s Public and Environmental Health Section, when deemed necessary by Council, for new or upgraded works related to an OSSM system.
OSSM Installation and Minor Alterations Certification Form (pdf)
This Installation & Minor Alterations Certification Form is to be submitted to Council's Development and Environmental Health Group for the purposes of certifying any minor alterations to the approval to install for new or upgraded works related to an on-site sewage management system (OSSMS). This form verifies that the OSSM designer has approved the minor alterations. Any alterations to the approved installation that are not of a minor nature will require an amended application to be lodged with Council. Examples of minor alterations include - change from reln trenching to slotted pipe, change from distribution box to indexing valve, change of manufacturer from one secondary treatment system to another equivalent, minor relocation of effluent land application area. Contact the Development and Environmental Health Group for clarification to determine if your situation is a minor alteration.
OSSM Compliance and Commissioning Certification Form (pdf)
This form is to be used for all new & upgraded On-site Sewage Management Systems (OSSM) installations. The certification form is to be filled out by the installer of the OSSM and must be inclusive of the effluent land application arrangements.
- Notice of Work for Plumbing and Drainage Work
- OSSM Application to Install, Construct or Alter - Section 68 Application Form
- OSSM Approval to Operate – Section 68 Application Form
OSSM Inspection Checklists
These checklists are a guide and are recommended to be used when a suitably qualified person (ie licenced plumber and drainer) is engaged by the property owner to inspect their OSSM system for satisfactory operation eg sale of property. Further checklists will be developed in the future to cover different types of OSSM systems and installations.
- OSSM Inspection Checklist - Septic Tank, Pump Well, Collection Well (pdf)
- OSSM Inspection Checklist - Evapo-transpiration trench/bed (pdf)
- OSSM Inspection Checklist - Composting Toilet (pdf)
- OSSM Inspection Checklist - Wisconsin Sand Mound (pdf)
- OSSM Inspection Checklist - Sub-Surface Irrigation Area (pdf)
OSSM Desktop Study Information
To check for the location of the nearest licensed groundwater bores click on the link below to take you to the NSW Waterinfo website:
- Access data via map of NSW Groundwater Bores (expand All Groundwater Map, then expand North Coast Region, then click on Richmond River Basin. Keep zooming in to find nearest Ground Water (GW) Bore Data)
To check if a property is within the Drinking Water Catchment Area of the Shire:
- Firstly click on the “Overview Map “ to determine where the Drinking Water Catchment Areas are located.
- Then select the particular Drinking Water Catchment Map that is closest to where your property is located, for confirmation.
- If the property is within the Drinking Water Catchment Area then refer to the Rous Water On-Site Wastewater Management Guidelines for application requirements.
- Drinking Water Catchment – Overview Map
- Drinking Water Bores – Map 1
- Wilsons River Catchment – Map 2
- Marom Creek Catchment – Map 3
- Gum Creek Catchment – Map 4
- Emigrant Creek Catchment – Map 5
Note: There are four drinking water bore sites within the Shire with a 250m radius catchment protection zone around each bore. If your property is located within this protection zone and you intend to install a new or upgrade an existing OSSM system then please contact Council to determine the application requirements.
Contact Council's Development and Environmental Health Group if you need further clarification.
If you are intending to upgrade or install a new OSSM system, in close proximity to the Richmond River or tributary stream, then you must determine if the property is within the Priority Oyster Aquaculture Area zone of influence. When a property is within this zone of influence then further OSSM design specifications may be required to ensure that there are no impacts on the Priority Oyster Aquaculture Areas.
The OSSM consultant is to refer to the NSW Department of Primary Industries – Fishing and Aquaculture website for the NSW Oyster Industry Sustainable Aquaculture Strategy and Priority Oyster Aquaculture Area Maps.
The following facts sheets have been created to assist OSSM consultants:
- Factsheet 11 - Priority Oyster Aquaculture Area (pdf)
- Factsheet 12 - NSW Oyster Industry Sustainable Aquaculture Strategy - Extracts (pdf)
To obtain the 1:20, 1:50 & 1:100 ARI flood level readings for the flood plain region of Ballina Shire Council then please refer to the maps included in the document below. (Click on the link)
- Click on the link to access NSW – Sydney Catchment Authority website for on-site wastewater educational information, which includes a manual for Designing and Installing On-Site Wastewater Systems
- Click on the link to access NSW – Sydney Catchment Authority video on how to install an OSSM sand mound.
- Factsheet 14 - Development Applications key points to be addressed in OSSM reports