What can you put in your organics bin?
- Food Scraps: fruit, vegetable, meat, bread, pasta, rice (food can be wrapped in newspaper)
- Garden Waste: grass clippings, leaves, flowers, weeds, twigs, small branches
- Soiled paper and cardboard
- Small timber off-cuts (untreated)
What can't you put in your organics bin?
- Plastic, 'degradable or 'biodegradable' bags
- Treated timber
- 'Biodegradable' coffee cups
- Soil (large amounts)
- Nappies (even compostable) place these in your mixed waste bin.\
Still not sure what goes where? Use the Northern Rivers Waste A-Z guide to find out which bin is right for your waste item.
- Store food waste in freezer until the night before pick up
- Wrap food waste in newspaper
- Line the bottom of your 240L bin with newspaper to prevent food and garden waste sticking to the bin
- Keep bin in a shady and well ventilated area – especially over summer
- Try layering your food waste then garden waste in your bin
Compostable Bags (must be Australian standard: AS 4736) - Australasian Bioplastics Association This means they break down within a 12 week composting period. Compostable bags are available at the following retail outlets:
- Richies IGA Ballina
- Nourish Bulk Health Organic (Wigmore Arcade, River St, Ballina)
- Envirogreen Australia (North Creek Rd, Ballina)
- Lennox Head IGA
- Wollongbar IGA
- West Ballina Spar
Alternatively you can buy compost bags online or from suppliers directly.