Off-Leash Dog Exercise Areas
Council recognises the importance of dogs being allowed time to exercise unrestrained and there are six off-leash areas in the shire. Dogs can exercise, roam freely and socialise under the supervision of their owner or person in charge at the following desingated off-leash areas:
- Bicentennial Gardens, the northern area of the reserve, Ballina
- Compton Drive, East Ballina
- Gap Road, Alstonville
- Seven Mile Beach, north of Lake Ainsworth, (old 4WD access point), Lennox Head
- Ballina Heights Estate, eastern reserve area, Ballina Heights
- Headlands Drive Drainage Reserve, Skennars Head
- The Spit, Ballina
conditions of use
- Your dog must always be under effective control. ‘Effective control’ means your dog responds to your command and remains close to you.
- If your dog is not sufficiently trained to be under your effective control and shows signs of anti-social behaviour and aggression you must remove the dog immediately from the area.
- Pick up your dog poo and dispose in a waste bin.
- Be considerate of all other users of the area. It is not for the exclusive use of dogs and their owners.
- Your dog must be accompanied at all times by an adult or person over 16 years.
provides information on responsible dog ownership in Ballina ShireRead more
provides information for neighbours and owners of barking dogsRead more
provides guidelines for effective control of dogsRead more
Dogs are not permitted in these areas under the Companion Animals Management PlanRead more