I Want to Apply for Citizenship
If you would like to become an Australian Citizen you can either visit www.homeaffairs.gov.au to download the relevant forms or telephone 131 880.
After completing the relevant paper work, you will be interviewed and then all information will be assessed by the Office of Home Affairs.
Once your application has been assessed and approved, your Certificate of Australian Citizenship is forwarded to the Council. Council's Citizenship Ceremonies are held on the second Tuesday of even numbered months at 11.00a.m (except for December and Australia Day). New citizens are invited to bring along family and friends to participate in the ceremony.
Our Australia Day ceremony is held at the Lennox Community Centre at 9am.
So, in short, the steps to follow to become an Australian Citizen are:
- Visit www.homeaffairs.gov.au or phone 131 880 to complete and lodge your application for citizenship grant
- Attend an interview
- Await confirmation advice from the Office of Home Affairs that your application has been successful
- Await advice from the Council confirming that relevant paperwork has been received and advice of the date of the next citizenship ceremony
- Confirm your attendance at the ceremony and advise number of guests you would like to bring with you to your Citizenship Ceremony. Council is obliged to return your Certificate to the Office of Home Affairs if you cannot attend the Ceremony on the date allocated
- Enjoy your ceremony with family, friends and other new Australian Citizens.
Remaining Citizenship Ceremony Dates and Locations for 2018
- Tuesday 12 June 2018 - Council Chambers, Ballina
- Tuesday 14 August 2018 - Council Chambers, Ballina
- Tuesday 9 October 2018 - Council Chambers, Ballina