Where do I dispose of...
Mobile Phones, Batteries and Accessories
- Ballina's Telstra Store
- Ballina's Optus World
Needles and Sharps
You can drop your needles and sharps at any of the following pharmacies free of charge:
- Terry White Chemist, The Plaza, Alstonville
- Main Street Pharmacy, Main Street, Alstonville
- Wollongbar Pharmacy, Simpson Avenue, Wollongbar
- Our Chemist, Ballina West Shopping Centre, Ballina
- Chemmart, River Street, Ballina Shire Council
- Blooms the Chemist, Ballina Fair Shopping Centre, Ballina
- Lennox Head Pharmacy, Ballina Street, Lennox Head
- East Ballina Pharmacy, Links Avenue, East Ballina
Obviously plastic bags should be avoided if possible as they take thousands of years to break down in landfill.
Rather than sending them to landfill you can take them to a drop off bin at one of the following supermarkets:
- Woolworths (Ballina)
- Coles (Ballina)
e-waste free drop off
- all televisions, such as CRTs, plasma, LCD and projection televisions
- laptops, notebooks, palmtops and tablets
- computer monitors
- parts for personal computers - eg internal hard drives, motherboards, cards, internal power supplies, CPUs, DVD and CD drives
- computer peripherals - eg mice, keyboards, joysticks, game pads, scanners and web cameras
- printers - eg ink-jet, dot matrix, laser printers and multi-functional devices
What's not accepted?
- televisions or monitors with cracked screens
- mobile phones
- game consoles (such as Microsoft Xboxes or Sony playstations)
- video recorders
- DVD players
- radios /stereos
- power tools
- appliances / microwaves
- products that have been exposed to radiation, biological or chemical hazards
- set top boxes
- Aldi Supermarket (Ballina)
- Ballina Shire Council Waste Management Facility - free drop off
Asbestos Testing Kits
Asbestos testing kits are available for Ballina Shire residents Kits from our Waste Management Centre or Customer Service Centre located at 40 Cherry Street, Ballina.
- Completed asbestos testing kits go directly to Australia Post
- Both the submission form and the signed declaration must be completed and posted with the samples. Results may not be provided if this in not completed.
- This service is for residents only and for Ballina Shire properties only. This service is not available to commercial operators and there's a limit of only one kit per Ballina Shire ratepayer. Samples can be taken from a couple of different areas in the house if asbestos is suspected.
If a positive test is found, Asbestos Disposal Kits with all the necessary PPE are available at the Waste Management Centre for $30 (see below).
The Household Asbestos Disposal Scheme seeks to improve work health and safety by insisting that the guidelines for the safe removal and disposal of bonded asbestos as recommended the WorkCover NSW and the Environmental Protection Authority are complied with.
Ballina Council is subsidising the cost of the kits which will be made available at the waste centre for $30 (this is just for the below equipment not for the disposal).
The kits are SafeWork NSW approved and contain the following items:
- P2 disposable mask
- 2 Disposable overalls
- 2 disposable shoe covers with non-slip sole
- 2 pair of disposable gloves
- Heavy duty duct tape
- 1 roll of re barrier tape
- 1 “danger asbestos” label
- Pakaflex asbestos bag (suitable for 10m2)
- 2 drop sheets
- Cable ties
Renovating? Download the Asbestos Awareness Factsheet.
Contact Council's Waste Management Centre on 02 6686 1287.