Where do I dispose of...
Mobile Phones, Batteries and Accessories
- Ballina's Telstra Store
- Ballina's Optus World
Needles and Sharps
You can drop your needles and sharps at any of the following pharmacies free of charge:
- Terry White Chemist, The Plaza, Alstonville
- Main Street Pharmacy, Main Street, Alstonville
- Wollongbar Pharmacy, Simpson Avenue, Wollongbar
- Our Chemist, Ballina West Shopping Centre, Ballina
- Chemmart, River Street, Ballina Shire Council
- Blooms the Chemist, Ballina Fair Shopping Centre, Ballina
- Lennox Head Pharmacy, Ballina Street, Lennox Head
- East Ballina Pharmacy, Links Avenue, East Ballina
Obviously plastic bags should be avoided if possible as they take thousands of years to break down in landfill.
Rather than sending them to landfill you can now tie all soft plastics in a bag and place them in your recycle bin. Or you could take them to a drop off bin at one of the following supermarkets:
- Woolworths (Ballina)
- Coles (Ballina)
e-waste free drop off
- all televisions, such as CRTs, plasma, LCD and projection televisions
- laptops, notebooks, palmtops and tablets
- computer monitors
- parts for personal computers - eg internal hard drives, motherboards, cards, internal power supplies, CPUs, DVD and CD drives
- computer peripherals - eg mice, keyboards, joysticks, game pads, scanners and web cameras
- printers - eg ink-jet, dot matrix, laser printers and multi-functional devices
What's not accepted?
- televisions or monitors with cracked screens
- mobile phones
- game consoles (such as Microsoft Xboxes or Sony playstations)
- video recorders
- DVD players
- radios /stereos
- power tools
- appliances / microwaves
- products that have been exposed to radiation, biological or chemical hazards
- set top boxes
- Aldi Supermarket (Ballina)
- Ballina Shire Council Waste Management Facility - free drop off
The Household Asbestos Disposal Scheme seeks to improve work health and safety by insisting that the guidelines for the safe removal and disposal of bonded asbestos as recommended the WorkCover NSW and the Environmental Protection Authority are complied with.
Ballina Council is subsidising the cost of the kits which will be made available at the waste centre for $30 and includes the disposal of up to 10m2 of bonded asbestos at the Lismore City Council Waste Facility.
The kits are WorkCover NSW approved and contain the following items:
- P2 disposable mask
- 2 Disposable overalls
- 2 disposable shoe covers with non-slip sole
- 2 pair of disposable gloves
- Heavy duty duct tape
- 1 roll of re barrier tape
- 1 “danger asbestos” label
- Pakaflex asbestos bag
- 2 drop sheets
- Cable ties
For more information about the scheme the waste section can be contacted on 6686 1287.
If you are unsure as to where you can recycle an item, please click here and enter Ballina’s information.